In year 7 students will learn the basic skills of food preparation, food safety and food hygiene they will also learn the following topics:
- Rules for the kitchen
- Basic hygiene
- Chopping and peeling skills
- Using the hob safely
- Using the oven safely
- Nutrition/ Eatwell plate
- Healthy eating guidelines
- Looking at the amount of sugar in food products.
- Sensory analysis – introduction
Students will also learn to cook basic meals:
Layered pasta salad.
Ragu pasta sauce.
Seasonal soup and soda bread.
How to cook eggs.
In year 8 students will learn food preparation, food safety and food hygiene they will also learn the following topics:
- Four methods of cake making.
- Function of ingredients.
- Food poisoning/handling raw meat
Students will also learn to cook the following recipes:
In year 9 students will learn food preparation, food safety and food hygiene, they will also learn the following topics:
- Nutrition (vitamins and minerals)
- The function of nutrients in the body.
- Raising agents
- How to have a healthy diet.
- Adapting a recipe.
Students also cook the following recipes;
Basic white sauce
Chocolate tart with sweet crust pastry
Fruit oat bars