Home Curriculum Subjects


Citizenship at Lyndon is all about our students engaging with, and investigating, how the world around them works and their place within it.

Through studying issue-based topics in Years 7, 8 and 9 such as Identity and Community, Government, Human Rights, Sustainable Development and Animal Rights, Conflict, Media, Crime, and Democracy, students are encouraged to understand and question the structure of our democratic society and all that it entails. A full GCSE is then offered and completed during Years 10 and 11.

While completing the Citizenship qualification, students will look as issues encompassing human rights, our responsibilities, poverty, the global community, economics, politics, and media.

Our aim is that through studying Citizenship at Lyndon, students enable themselves to go on to take their place in society as informed and responsible young adults, who have skills such as independent learning, enquiry and communication – all of which are increasingly sought after in today’s world.

The full GCSE award is from the awarding body of Edexcel and is made up of two exams which are sat at the end of Year 11 and are both an hour in length and make up 40% of the students overall grade whilst the remaining 60% is made up of the completion of two pieces of controlled coursework.

Subject Team Leader: Ms F Burton